Thread: Speculation: Defensive curiosity.
View Single Post
Old
11-27-2012, 09:03 PM
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office

vCash: 500
Suter was plan A and everybody on the boards thought he was a done deal. Rumors of him being in Michigan buying a car, blahs blah blahhhh. Judging by how it went down, Ken Holland probably felt the same way. Once that ended up not happening holland tried to acquire Jay Bo, but Calgary overvalued him. I am happy he didn't end up in Detroit. The guy is awful.

Schultz was offered a deal, but nobody expected him to sign in Detroit.

Any other d-man that would have been looked at was already off the market by the time the Suter debacle ended. (Garrison) Wings played a game of musical chairs and were the only person left standing when the music stopped.

Now the defense consists kronwall, Ericsson, white, Quincey and Smith. So the Wings only have one real top pairing d-man who isnt good enough to be a legit #1 dman that can anchor the defense. Kronwall is closer to #2 than #1 d-man. Great player and its not his fault that be is going to be asked to do more than he is capable of doing on a consistent basis. The rest are at best second pairing players who need someone better to play with or third pairing players on a deep cup contending roster.

Smith is a wildcard and he might make the defense legitimately good if he lives up to his hype sooner rather than later. That is very unlikely though since he is playing his first full NHL season. I have plenty of faith in him, but its asking a lot for even a #1 draft pick d-man who has way more talent. Playing good defense is something that can only be taught by experience. Even the mighty lidstrom wasn't a god on day one. If Holland had let Smith play his rookie season last year,the team defense would be potentialy in a lot better shape going into this season.

Ken Holland calls it defense by committee which is basically a way to avoid calling it mediocre defense.

You can probably tell I am not very happy with the current state of the wings D.

Last edited by WingedWheel1987: 11-27-2012 at 09:28 PM.
WingedWheel1987 is online now   Reply With Quote