Thread: Blue Jays Discussion: Offseason Madness the 7th: Jose Reyes edition
View Single Post
Old
11-27-2012, 09:25 PM
weems

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafsdude7 View Post
Using single seasons to decide who is a better pitcher using any stat is always going to be flawed.

Wait, what?

The difference in WAR, according to baseball-reference.com, between Johnson and Buehrle over the last 4 years (3.8) is not the same difference between Lester and Hernandez (+5.1 for Hernandez).

The difference in WAR, according to baseball-reference.com, between Johnson and Buehrle over the last 4 years (3.8) is not the same as the difference between Price and Buehrle (+1.4 for Buehrle).

My argument isn't about the significance of the numbers, it's about the stat itself, and it's complete lack of standardization in the world of baseball. No two sources (before you take that literally, that's hyperbole...) will agree on the best way to calculate WAR.

You have yet to adequately convince me of that.
This is all pretty simple.
Johnson is the better pitcher according to advanced stats. Even if we look at the more basic standardized stats like ERA, WHIP etc Johnson is the better pitcher.

Josh Johnson career stats
3.15 ERA
1.23 WHIP
.242 OPP BA

Mark Buerhle career stats
3.82 ERA
1.27 WHIP
.272 OPP BA

So I've shown you that Johnson is better according to a stat like WAR and hes also better when you look at stats like the more "standardized" stats. What is so hard to understand at this point?