View Single Post
Old
11-27-2012, 09:41 PM
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Make It 30!!!!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statsy View Post
There is a lot to cover with this question, and sadly I don't have the time to go as in depth as I would like, but the two key ideas that come of the top of my head are that:

1) Canada is in a down cycle for goaltending at the moment. It seems like it has been for a few years in the NHL and even our junior goalies outside of Subban seem to be of lower quality. There seems to be a depth issue across the whole spectrum for the country, currently.

2) The U.S has been increasing its hockey enrollment rate and it's only a matter of time until they greatly out number any other country. Success in a sport is largely about the amount of people that play it, and though it will still take a few years, they will definitely put up the numbers. Frequent success is already starting to role in for this team at different levels and thanks to their NTDP they are already a dominant force at the U18 levels. The US is the biggest riser on the international hockey scene.
I disagree, Statsy.

I don't think Canada is in a down cycle. However, after almost 7 years (2003 - 2009) of exceptional drafts, we are having an "average" spell.

As for the "biggest riser"... I have been hearing all that since the early 1990's and yet, in the last 12 years, the Americans have had one exceptional draft (2003), one great draft (2005), one above average draft (2007) and one average draft (2010). The rest have been duds.

Last edited by OttawaRoughRiderFan: 11-27-2012 at 09:47 PM.
OttawaRoughRiderFan is offline   Reply With Quote