Thread: Speculation: Luongo thread continued...
View Single Post
Old
11-27-2012, 09:55 PM
Bleach Clean

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
Yeah, Rielly or Gardiner and a 1st and Gillis jumps at it. Kadri and a 1st and Gillis declines without consideration IMO.

That package I proposed was worth considerably less than Gardiner and a 1st.

If Burke wants to hold onto all his top assets it's going to cost him a valuable quantity package, likely similar to what I proposed. Don't like purging multiple young assets, put somebody on the table with significant value...

Exactly. Move off key assets and you will have to make up the difference in quantity value. People are not understanding this.

The dubious position here is to suppose that Burke doesn't have to be anywhere close to the initial demand - which pretty much implies that Gillis was throwing something against the wall and hoping it would stick. I don't think this. There are clear positional upgrades in that package, and to move away from those key pieces should cost other pieces to get close, otherwise why throw that initial offer out there at all? If it's just to set the ceiling, Gillis should have started with Kessel + Phaneuf +++... In other words, the initial demand means something, whether people want to admit it or not.