View Single Post
11-27-2012, 10:15 PM
Make It 30!!!!
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
Russia struggled a bit with production of top talent between 2006 and 2009, esp. with death of Cherepanov (R.I.P.) but they are right back at it now. They've now fielded 3 very deep offensive teams in WJC and even more coming for 94, 95 and 96 born players. We've now went from barely finding players good enough for WJC to having up to 50 players competing for spots, and it's pretty fierce for some positions.

There are going to be 70-80 minor pro junior teams next year, probably split between two leagues. I think they are on the brink of surpassing the talent production of Canada, if they haven't already. The countries population and the speed of expansion, and the fact that it's becoming the #1 sport in the country is already visible for those who follow jrs. This time around, there are no limitations of communism in developing professionals either (like CSKA Red Army limitations in USSR)
I don't know, my friend.

When I see Russian teams play international games, I see teams that are very(!) opportunistic offensively but who are outplayed overall.
I don't think Russia is as strong and deep as Russian fans seem to think.

I also see a constant lack of talent on the back end and in goal.

By 2018, OV, Malkin, Kovalchuck and Datsyuk will be old and I don't see players, at that elite level, able to fill their shoes.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree.