View Single Post
Old
11-27-2012, 11:42 PM
Forsead

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
The players are not allowed to invest in NHL franchises. The one exception (that I'm aware of) is Mario Lemieux, who bought his team in the early 2000s under exceptional circumstance. Part of the agreement was that he would be paid exactly league average salary. In general it's a conflict of interest for active players to buy a franchise.

There are examples of former players buying pro teams, where the conflict of interest is gone. Michael Jordan is part owner of the WAshington Wizards. That said, the startup costs for owning a team are a few hundred million dollars, michael jordan can afford that, but Steven Stamkos cannot. Few former players can afford that. Superstar NHL players might make 150 million (I think Crosby will clock in at 200 million) in a career at the upper end, that's 90 million after taxes in most jurisdiction, with which you cannot buy a team.

Wayne Gretzky was a part owner of the Coyotes, but that particular team was not a good investment.

You may be right that the players benefited from greater parity. In these negotiations, the players have offered to acceopt salary cuts if the owners increase revenue sharing -- which follows the same logic. However, the owners have ruled out substantial increases in revenue sharing. Therefore, if I'm a player, I'd feel like I have no business partner.
I was referring to ex-players, I mean Sakic has made almost 90 millions IIRC, he could put 10 millions of shares (nobody force him to be a majority owner), that would be in my opinion a good PR move and I can't see their owner(s) be against this. Why, this he isn't doing this ? because it's a really bad investment, like in most teams.

In term, of total money that some of theses stars earns you should not forget their advertising money.

Mario Lemieux, case IIRC is at the time the team had no money for paying his salary so they paid him in ownership shares.

I like where the negotiations are heading, but even Damphousse (who was in the head of the negociations last CBA) said that he found the last NHLPA offer was too greedy and he was understanding the NHL position in that case. The minimum salary cap is a blessing for the players and a total curse for the (poor) owners and it seems it will stay the same.

I would like to know to what exact percent of the sharing system they are talking about right now to really comment on it.

Last edited by Forsead: 11-27-2012 at 11:48 PM.