View Single Post
Old
11-27-2012, 11:58 PM
Stoneman89

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arpeggio View Post
I love music, I won't go as far as to say it's my life but it's damn close. I fully understand the impact music can have on life and society. Though I'll also quickly add that in the example you've cited, it didn't matter what kind of music was being played, the fact that it was western was enough for it to be revolutionary.

I also think the impact of music can be greatly exaggerated, and clouded by personal taste. For example, you've cited Lady Gaga several times in this thread as a hack of a popstar, while many members of the homosexual community across North America see her music as empowering and inspirational. Point is that nothing is more subjective than taste in music.

What revolutionary message did Michael Jackson present to the people? How about Queen, or even the Beatles while they were still together? Sinatra, Elvis? There always have and always will be pop stars, and more often than not they are polarizing figures that some portion of society are not going to appreciate. The common trait shared between these megastars is that they are entertaining, and yes, in some cases, all it would take to set a stadium crowd off would be to come out and wave. *Ahem, The Beatles*

Yes, if I'm going to a concert, I expect the performer to sing. However, if I'm going to a Bieber concert, or a half time show where he's performing, no, I don't expect much out of his voice, because I know who his audience is and I know why he's so popular. I also understand why he gets gigs like halftime shows, and it's not for his superior talent. Doesn't mean he didn't work hard to get where he is, doesn't mean I can take anything away from him as a successful entertainer.

Music can still be revolutionary, though I'd argue you've overstated its impact. I also argue that for the majority of human history, music has been strictly entertainment, so I don't know why today should be considered so different from the past. Dance music has always existed, pop music has always existed, popstars have always existed. There is loads of good music out there today, possibly more than ever before, perhaps its just a bit more difficult to find.

What I get sick of is people saying "music was so much better back then". Guess what, it wasn't. Lots of young kids today hate new music and love the 60s, lots of adults adore today's music. Music is music, it shouldn't be mistaken for anything more than that.
I think you're underestimating the impact of music. I know certain songs affected my life profoundly in some way or another, just as certain songs may ultimately affect your life, whether you realize it now or not. There are times I can remember certain milestones in my life based on a song that was playing just then. Lyrics can have a profound effect on many individuals. And it's not only the music. Certain heavyweights in the industry can also dictate fashion, religious beliefs, political beliefs, morals, etc. The Beatles were probably the most influential band in musical history for all these things, notwithstanding their massive catelogue of timeless music and performing gusto. Michael Jackson after them, and others to a lesser degree, even your own Lady Gaga.

I know we're getting off the beaten path of trashing the topic of dissing Justin Beiber, but as time adds years to your life, I guarantee you will become more reflective of how important music has been.