vCash: 500
D Yevgeni Paladiev

5'11, 180 lbs, Shoots Left
1970 1st Team Soviet All-Star
1969 3rd Team Soviet All-Star
1969, 1970, 1973 World Championship Gold Medal

Chidlovski:
Quote:
One of the strongest young Soviet blueliners of the late 1960's - early 1970's, Yevgeny Poladiev represented Spartak Moscow in Team USSR. He was an extremely reliable and fearless defense player with a poweful long distance slapshot and effective body-checking and shot-blocking skills. Poladiev was one of the Spartak fans favorites during his relatively short career in the top level hockey. Like his teammate Zimin, he was drafted to the Soviet Army but never played a game for a mighty CSKA, an all-time rivalry of his home team Spartak.
1972SummitSeries.com
Quote:
"I thought I was prepared for the series, but that was a mistake. I had no idea professionals like Peter Mahovlich and Dennis Hull were so strong."
Gary Mason, Globe and Mail, Forgotten Ones
Quote:
Their service to their country appeared to have meant nothing.

That’s certainly how Yevgeny Paladiev felt when I found him in a Moscow tenement where a pack of wild dogs served as a yelping, menacing, welcoming party to anyone who drove up.

Like Mr. Mishakov, Mr. Paladiev spent his days mostly indoors, drinking and watching a 10-inch black-and-white TV with rabbit ears. His fridge was full of vodka. He insisted I drink some with him, straight up in wine glasses filled to the rim. Once movie-star handsome, Mr. Paladiev’s skin was now red and blotchy. His knees wrecked, he could only hobble about with the aid of a cane.

“This is just the way it is,” Mr. Paladiev told me. “The guys who weren’t the stars were totally forgotten.”

He died in 2010, at 61.

Hedberg is offline   Reply With Quote