Round 2, Vote 5 (HOH Top Goaltenders)
View Single Post
11-28-2012, 01:19 AM
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Regina, SK
I'll start by saying I think it's clear that the three 1930s goalies go in this order: Worters, Thompson, Hainsworth. If anyone disagrees, please explain why and we can talk about it.
I think Bower's clearly ahead of Worsley too.
among the 70s/80s guys, I see Parent as clearly the best, but Smith/Fuhr is one hell of an interesting comparison. Cliff's notes:
- Both are dynasty goalies with a ton of team success. Both have a "clutch" reputation.
- Stark difference in that Fuhr was a workhorse goalie (1st, 2nd, 2nd, 4th, 5th in minutes), and Smith was not (just a 5th)
- Smith had very dominant sv% numbers in both the regular season and the playoffs: 12 points above average in the regular season and 17 points above average in the playoffs. Fuhr did not: 0 points above in the regular season and 3 in the playoffs.
- Fuhr still received a ton of all-star and vezina recognition relative to Smith.
- Neither outperformed the other goalies on their teams from a regular season sv% standpoint, from what I can see. From 1973-1989 Smith was 1% worse than his understudies, and from 1984-1991 Fuhr was 3% worse. There are other ways to calculate it the way I did 2 years ago, and weight it differently, but in any case it doesn't look like either was a high performer relative to their teammates.
- Fuhr had success with other teams and coaches. Smith had the same coach and system for his entire career.
I am pretty sure neither will get a vote from me for this round. The hard part is, when we're at the right round for them to get votes, who gets in first?
View Public Profile
Find More Posts by seventieslord