View Single Post
Old
11-28-2012, 12:19 AM
Renbarg

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDRR View Post
Even the Sedins, who many consider 1-way players, used to play on the PK and have good defensive insticts (particularly Henrik). I can't really think of any big name Swedish hockey players who are worse defensively than them either. Sweden is amazing when it comes to 2-way play.

Your theory of them having to play in a defense first role as teenagers is also very intriguing. Players have the ability to completely change their on ice identity at that age.

Russians are very skilled and have awesome puckhandling or sniping ability.
Here is the article I was referencing:

http://islanderspointblank.com/news/...ay-nhl-player/

Quote:
Still, for Nielsen to be in such heady company with Alfredsson – and be so far ahead of the rest of his team – says a lot about the well-rounded player he has become.

He credits the Swedish Elite League for his education on defense.

“They play a lot of trap hockey in the Swedish League, but either way I think it’s the best defensive league in the world,” said Nielsen, who first played in the SEL as a 17-year-old. “When I first got there, I didn’t know much about defense. In Denmark, I had the puck a lot. But Malmo put me on the fourth line and told me, ‘Just focus on not letting the other team score.’

“The Swedes completely taught me how to be a responsible two-way forward. That’s where I also learned how to win faceoffs. By the last season in Sweden, I was top-five in the league. When I first got there, I couldn’t beat anybody on a draw.
He even describes the league as the defensive league in the world[/quote]

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote