View Single Post
Old
11-28-2012, 03:07 AM
puckfan13

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statsy View Post
Although the AHL is above junior as far as level of play goes, don't go making the mistake of thinking that a regular season AHL game in December or January trumps the playoff intensity of a WJC playoff game. You can't manufacture the crushing pressure of an elimination game in the middle of the season. There is no question that the WJC experience would benefit RNH.

And the one last point I'll make on whether or not he should go is to say that once your eligibility is gone, you won't get it back.
The crushing pressure? Sorry, I don't really think RNH is going to exactly be crumbling under pressure playing against kids after he made guys like Weber, Suter, Keith and Seabrook look silly on numerous occasions last year. I don't exactly see how playing in a tournament with kids benefits him, but it probably won't hurt him. There will be maybe 2 "high-pressure" games in the tournament he will play in, if that. If you watched the Charlotte-OKC series this past weekend he's not going to see that quality of hockey for a month when he goes to play for Team Canada, all of that for maybe one game where he has all this "pressure" on him?

It's more likely Canada just rolls over the competition and he's never truly challenged. That's a month of him missing out on playing guys like Marco Scandella, Ian Cole, Colby Robak, Brendan Smith, Chris Tanev, amongst others. Makes a good storyline for TSN and it's always nice to see Team Canada win but lets not make any grand proclamations over some transcendent "benefits" playing in the tournament will provide.