View Single Post
Old
11-28-2012, 03:52 AM
Xokkeu

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statsy View Post
But they HAVE been rising since the early 90's. I seem to recall a World Cup victory in there somewhere. You just don't realize how far behind they were in the 80's. Flash forward to 2010 when they were a goal away from winning the Olympics. They've improved a lot and in another 20 years, look out!
Since this is a thread asking about Cyclical terms, this post provides a perfect segue.

The US has not been slowly rising since the 1990s. The US saw what is often described in the soccer world as a Golden Generation come out in the early 1990s. The 1980 Gold Medal win inspired a whole group of kids to lace up skates and start playing. That did not last. Look no further than the 2006 Olympic roster.

Rick DiPietro
Robert Esche
John Grahame
Chris Chelios C
Derian Hatcher
Jordan Leopold
John-Michael Liles
Aaron Miller
Brian Rafalski
Mathieu Schneider
Jason Blake
Erik Cole
Craig Conroy
Chris Drury
Brian Gionta
Scott Gomez
Bill Guerin
Mike Knuble
Mike Modano
Mark Parrish
Brian Rolston
Keith Tkachuk
Doug Weight

If you look at the names on there of players who are notable, you'll quickly realize that they were getting past your sell on dates.

Weight was 35
Tkachuk 34
Modano 36
Guerin 36
Schneider 37
Chelios 44
Hatcher 34

The new generation was Scott Gomez, Brian Gionta, Craig Conroy, Erik Cole, Jason Blake, John Liles, Jordan Leopold.... I don't think I need to go on.

What we saw was not a steady climb since the 1990s. On the contrary, there was a giant spike in the early 1990s, followed by a fallow period when that generation phased out after the 2002 Olympics, until the new generation burst on the scene in 2010. What the 1990s did was the lay the groundwork for a steady rise that started around the 2003 draft class in this last decade.

Xokkeu is offline   Reply With Quote