View Single Post
Old
11-28-2012, 06:07 AM
Fourier

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
Also interesting point by LT about our current D prospect. He compared the Klefbom, Marincin, Gernat situation to the Jeff Petry, Taylor Chorney and Cody Wild situation back in the day. Saying if one turns into a top 4 itll be a success.

Do you guys think our current prospects have more merit then those previous 3 had at the same age?
Absolutely.

If you were to pair them up I'd say that

Klefbom > Petry
Marincin > Chorney
Gernat > Wild

Assuming that the shoulder surgery goes well, Klefbom looks like a true blue chip prospect. While most of us liked Petry a lot, I am not sure you would have said the same about him when he was 19.

If Chorney was ever going to make the NHL it would have been as a smallish pmd. He is a very good skater, and he had a very good sophmore year at UND. But at this point Marincin seems to be well ahead of him in pretty much every aspect of the game if you compare their AHL rookie seasons. Chorney was also older when he entered the AHL.

Marincin has been a bit of a pleasant surprise for me. People say that his succes has been due to Schultz, but there have been a few nights where he has actually been the best of the pair.

Gernat is a wild card. He is still raw defensively, but has significant upside offensively. And he is 6'5" which carries certain advantages on its own. Like Gernat, the question mark on Wild was his ability in his own end. I think the advantage goes to Gernat here if for no other reason than I think he will be in a better developmental situation going forward.