View Single Post
Old
11-28-2012, 09:12 AM
Twine Seeking Missle
Go monkey go!!!

vCash: 500
So I made my first trip to our new home this past Sunday for the Blazers - Nets game. To sum it up in one sentence... I can't wait for 2015 to finally arrive. Yes, it's that good.

The first thing you will notice is how dark it is. It's kinda like a movie theater. Both the concourses and the seating area are extremely dark. Personally, I like it. It really focuses things on what is important... the game on the ice/court. You won't be able to take your eyes off the scoreboard either.

The second thing you will notice is the steepness of the seats. As opposed to the spread out, sprawling seats of MSG, the seats at Barclay's pretty much go straight up. That makes for high seats being very high but you feel right on top of the action. This works for hockey and will create a very intimidating atmosphere.

I really can't make any comments on how loud the building gets because even though the building was near full and the Nets won, it was still a Sunday afternoon against the Portland Trailblazers. It never got loud. I really want to hear what it sounds like after a goal is scored. I would assume it's going to be extremely loud given how intimate the building feels. I really feel this could be the U.S. version of the MTS Centre... assuming of course our fans make themselves heard.

And the trip there? Wow. Shocked. I thought it was going to be a pain in the ass. It wasn't. Going, I took the LIRR from RVC to Penn. Took 40 mins. Then took the 2 train down to the arena which took another 20 mins. Even that wasn't bad but going home I tried something different. Walked an extra block to the LIRR and took it straight to Jamaica, transferred across the platform and took the Babylon train back to RVC. So from the Barclay's back to RVC took less than 45 mins.

Overall I was highly impressed. I still am a bit iffy on the whole idea of having seating in one of the endzones closed off but other than that gripe, I have zero complaints. The building is awesome and the Islanders *should* thrive in a facility like that.