Old
11-28-2012, 11:34 AM
blinkman360
Back to Basics

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAPSHOT723 View Post
You're crazy

Serious blinkman, have you seen Nelson play? I've only seen him three times, but damn this kid is one special player. He's not a player to give up on without getting a superstar back. I'm not saying Yandle isn't a superstar, but I think Nelson will be a bigger need than Yandle in a few years.

Depending on how ready Strome and Nelson are for NHL action, Nielsen can't be traded yet. In terms of value, I think Rundblad and Shinnimin would be solid value. A mid round pick can be added with Nielsen to make it more fair.
I've seen him play and have been extremely impressed. That said I think Strome has the higher ceiling and ultimately will be the better player. I suppose we could phase Nielsen out and replace him with Brock, or move Strome to the wing, but I'd rather take advantage of the trade value he brings if it allows us to address a need.

I think some people underestimate just how badly we need to add another PMD to this team. IMO Visnovsky is gone, whether or not he plays here this season. Streit should remain, leaving him, Hamonic, MacDonald and Carkner as our only established NHL defenseman. The only PMD in that group is Streit, who will be 35 at the start of next season and 36 three months into it.

We do have guys like deHaan, Donovan, Kichton, Russo and Ness in our system who are all PMD's, but deHaan has had consistent injury struggles and 3 of those guys are long-shots to even become bottom-pairing defensemen at the NHL level. Essentially that leaves Donovan to be that guy. If he doesn't pan out, we are pretty much screwed. Even if he does, we'll need another once Streit leaves or starts to decline(which could be sooner than we think).

I agree that trading Nelson for Rundblad is a bit risky, and I might not even decide to pull the trigger on it when all is said and done, but if we had a chance to get a guy like Yandle for a package centered around Nelson, I think the "crazy" thing would be not pulling the trigger. A 26 year old, top-pairing PMD who can put up 50 points a year? Sign me up.

blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote