View Single Post
Old
11-28-2012, 01:31 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habs03 View Post
I think he'll sign, but doesn't he become a free agent if not signed by June, just like Justin Schultz?
No he doesn't become a UFA in June, that loophole closed. Mac Bennett can do so at the end of this season, he has to tell the Habs before June 1st, if he wishes to opt out. But that's if the lockout ends and the loop isn't closed or grandfathered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Dagenais View Post
I believe that loophole is only valid for Juniors. Kristo is a Senior this year.

Not 100% sure.
That's correct, but only for Juniors that did not play in the NCAA right away after being drafted by an NHL team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullsmith View Post
He the option to go UFA if he wants to, although he can also sign with us before that happens. He can't really make any extra money if the entry-level restrictions remain in place, but he can sign on elsewhere if he wants to. I'm sure he'd find takers.

Really though, there are good reasons to sign with the org that drafted him. Not compelling ones, but it'd be better for his rep at a minimum. Since he's saying he intends to sign with Montreal, I'll take him at his word and keep my fingers crossed.
He had the option but it passed last June 1st. The only NHL team he can sign with is the Habs, now the Habs could opt not to sign him and he would become a UFA.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote