View Single Post
Old
11-28-2012, 12:39 PM
  #397
Hivemind
We're Touched
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 15,336
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampeus View Post
Speaking of stoner metal, do you have any stoner bands that you recommend?
Some of my favorite stoner metal and stoner doom bands:
Church of Misery, Electric Wizard, Sleep, Orange Goblin, War Pigs, Witchcraft, Acid King, Bison BC, Saviours, Black Pyramid, Elder, Witch, Windhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Cunney View Post
Completely disagree with everything you say, I don't know how the hell you can even start to say they aren't classic heavy metal. There main inspiation is the originator themselves, sabbath.
Just because you're inspired by Sabbath doesn't mean you play classic heavy metal. You can't listen to Saxon, Mercyful Fate, Accept, Angel Witch, or late 70's Scorpions and tell me they play the same sub-genre as the Sword with a straight face.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Cunney View Post
Your personal bias is getting in the way. The new album is getting excellent reviews from far more credible sources than yourself, warp riders was one of the better concept albums to come out in a while. Sure, they don't touch age if winters but that's what makes that album their best.
Like what? Pitchfork? Some other mainstream trash rag? It's lone review on M-A gave it a 39%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Cunney View Post
And the almighty kyuss (parts of anyways)chose to take them on the rd with them when they went on tour, ***** they must be terrible. Do you play an instrument? I really have no idea how you cam listen to their music and call them average if so.
If by "the almight kyuss" you mean the blatant moneygrab known as "Kyuss lives!" then sure. That whole tour is just a moneygrab to try and get people in the door and lighten their wallets, so of course they're going to build a tour of bands that will draw the kiddies.

I call them average because their songwriting is average. Just because they're good at their instruments (and not even particularly great in the context of metal) doesn't mean their songs are worth a damn. Should I be forced to masturbate to Yngwie and Spastic Ink, too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Cunney View Post
As far as name dropping, it's a metal thread, you use names. I apologize that the bands I grew up on are "big" now, i guess I will refrain from ever talking about them? I've become fond of goatwhore & skeletonwitch if that makes the statement a little easier for you to understand. But you obviously aren't one of those guys who only want brutality so it's irrelevant.
My point was that you tried to buy credibility by using the names of bands that everyone knows. If you busted out the Mantas or Xecutioner demo tapes you got by trading with someone you found in the back of an early 90s issue of Slayer mag or MRR, it would be one thing. But you just name dropped two huge bands (and two more just now).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Cunney View Post
Spends some time promoting what you like instead of tearing what you don't. Metal is getting more diverse by the day,too bad so many waste their time hating instead of digging what they like & keeping a scene strong and growing.
It's not as if these are mutually exclusive activities. To promote mediocrity as a golden standard is worse in my mind. And it's not as if I don't "promote what I like" as well.

Hivemind is offline