11-28-2012, 02:28 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Per team.

Sounds like I'm getting moved back to wing from defense, which should help our goals for and against dramatically. I am absolutely terrible on defense.
To be a good dman you have to be great without the puck. That gets lost on most players in rec leagues, when they don't have the puck on their stick they are useless. I started out playing defense and 19 years later I think it's the easiest out of the 5 positions because I can dictate where the guy with the puck is going to go. I put them wide, I put them on their back hand and if they try to put it between my skates I put them down. And if you can see plays developing you can cover guys before they get the puck denying outlet passes. It can be a lot of fun when you play with good players and it can be torture when you play with bad players who don't know the first thing about positioning. And the last key to being a good dman is you have to want to play defense. If you're heart is at playing forward you won't do the little stuff it takes to play good defense. In the end though it's rec league and you need to play where you want.