Thread: Speculation: Detroit: Bottom 6 Forwards
View Single Post
Old
11-28-2012, 04:15 PM
Nyquist

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eva unit zero View Post
Brad Stuart was crap for the past two and a half seasons. We don't need a Brad Stuart; we need a guy like Konstantinov. Or even Jiri Fischer.

The thing about Detroit under Holland's tenure is this; he's subtly been working to find a Konstantinov replacement since he was hired. Fischer is the closest he came; Chelios had that one great year, but he wasn't a great long-term solution. Fischer, Kuznetsov, Stuart, etc. have all been attempts to replace what Vladdie brought.

As for Abdelkader, I can understand the like for him. He's young and physical, good defensively and looks to be a long-term roster player with decent upside. He probably will play in the top-12 over Miller going forward, even though Miller is a better player right now. With regards to having the spot for rookies; I'd rather have Abdelkader in the lineup over Bertuzzi. Maybe this could be the lineup:

Cleary/Datsyuk/Tatar
Nyquist/Zetterberg/Brunner
Franzen/Filppula/Samuelsson
Abdelkader/Helm/Tootoo

Emmerton
Mursak
Bertuzzi
Miller
Eaves

A fourth line of Abdelkader/Helm/Tootoo would be an excellent checking line that would compare well to a lot of third lines. And jut imagine if Holland had skipped Bertuzzi and kept Hudler instead, with the rest remaining the same? The you drop Abs to 13, put Cleary on line 4, and Hudler plays on Z's or Dats' LW, with Nyquist on the other. That leaves a serious competition between Emmerton, Mursak, and Miller for 14th.

Edler is not a need. Hamhuis is a need, if we're using Canucks defensemen as the baseline. Garrison even fits the bill. Edler is a luxury to a team that already has Kronwall, White, Quincey, Smith, Kindl, and Colaiacovo. Ericsson is the only guy on the team who's not an offensive guy and he can handle the puck just fine.
I'll agree that Brad Stuart was overrated, calling him crap is ridiculous though.

Nyquist is offline   Reply With Quote