View Single Post
Old
11-28-2012, 06:20 PM
Skraut

vCash: 500
I'm currently reading Journeyman by Sean Pronger. Captivating read, and I've just reached the part where he was claimed on waivers by the Jackets.

He talks about the first training camp with the Jackets and they brought in a new "Secret Weapon"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Pronger in Journeyman
Turns out the Blue Jackets' brain trust decided to shell out a hundred grand just to lure [Alexander Guskov] to training camp. I mean, are you kidding me? One hundred thousand dollars just to attend camp? Did they have to lure him away from his ten-million-dollar deal with the Hawaiian Co-ed Nude league? He was playing in Russia, for goodness sakes. And this was way before the KHL started handing out rediculous contracts, so there was no way he was making much jack back home. I would have thought a plane ticket, a hotel room, a few meals, and a chance to play in the NHL would have been enough

[Guskov] should have had it made. Management had a vested interest, not to mention a financial interest, in him. he should have been a shoo-in for at least the seventh defenceman spot. When you think about it, he didn't have to do anything good at camp; he just had to avoid doing anything bad. But he couldn't He played in every pre-season game and was awful in all of them. CBJ was forced to cut him and ship him to Siberia (literally) with his running shorts crammed full of dollars.
Stuff your stocking with the book, it's awesome. I'm curious what else I'll find out in there.