View Single Post
Old
11-28-2012, 08:30 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
Pulock or Shinkaruk? All things being equal I'll take offense over more D. Sore Loser? Anyone?
A good friend of mine (fellow WHL prospect fanatic) and I had a good chat about this exact scenario last summer (2011), just after Shinkaruk's fantastic Ivan Hlinka tournament. Basically, what it came down to, was that if Shinkaruk had been eligible for the 2012 draft, we both agreed that he would probably have gone first or second overall. As for Pulock, I don't think we would have said the same thing.

Pulock reminds a lot of people of Al MacInnis, but to compare him to the Hall of Famer is unfair. Whether or not he ever reaches that stage might be up for debate, but the facts are this: Good mid-sized frame, good puck mover, HUGE shot, footspeed concerns (as with Al as a youngster), and a "good" all around defender. Topside, yes, he has huge first pairing, first powerplay unit potential. Downside: Think Jamie Heward.

With Shinkaruk, what you are getting is a potential superstar player. His offensive instincts are way above normal, and I would absolutely feel safe comparing him to any star player in the NHL in that aspect. My favorite comparison for him is Jordan Eberle. He's not a big guy, and he may not dazzle you all of the time, but he's a guy that just always finds ways to produce for his team (though, he can certainly be jaw-dropping when he needs to be). His passing is superb, he has a very quick release that is accurate, great hands, and is slippery; you don't see him get hit head on very often. Defensive zone play will surprise some people in a good way, but that isn't where his value is. This guy's top end is that of a 90+ point player, a top line performer. Bottom end: he could completely bust and not be very effective in the NHL (Zach Boychuk?).

For me, if Hunter Shinkaruk is on the board, and especially if we have two more first round picks to land more "sure bet" players, we have to take him.