Old
11-28-2012, 09:48 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by brah View Post
Exactly.

One of the best arguments against a NCCAF playoff is that even the NCAABB Tourney hasn't found a # they're satisfied with. What are they up to, 64? I would be totally happy with the only teams eligible for an NCAAF tourney being the conference champs but they're going to do the same thing they did in BBall and keep adding teams until it's half of the DIV 1 schools.
Less than 20% of Division I basketball teams go to the NCAA tournament. (It's 68, for the record.) Lacrosse sends 16 of 61 teams (26%), college hockey sends 16 out of 59 (27%), and men's soccer sends 48 of 302 teams (15%). FCS presently sends 20 of 125, and will send 24 next year (roughly 19%).

A 24-team I-A football championship would have about the same proportion as men's basketball or FCS football.

As for the Mighty Mitsoo and FAU moving to C-USA, that's an aftershock move from ECU and Tulane taking their football teams (and all sports, in Tulane's case) to the Big East. The frankenconference continues, although it continues without Louisville.

This should be a very good move for the Blue Raiders, though. C-USA is generally a more prestigious league for football, and a much more competitive league for basketball (although losing Memphis is a big bruise for them to recover from). This will be a good move for the department.

Meanwhile, the Sun Belt is looking for teams, meaning Appalachian State and Georgia Southern have no reason not to make the move. Sam Houston State and Lamar are options, as is Jacksonville State, but ASU is by far the most attractive option, and GASO are their long-standing rivals.