View Single Post
Old
11-28-2012, 10:59 PM
Missionhockey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnrefinedCrude View Post
In hockey it seems goal differential is the king, not just GF or GA.

The thing is there are so many factors (read every factor,) that leads to this.

Moneyball works as it does in baseball because more than any sport Baseball is a collection of individual efforts. Play is also less fluid.

There might be a way to quantify a MoneyPuck system, but I think it would have to be more complex, with more subtle calculations involved.

Advanced stats in hockey are still in their infancy, and the continuous play, body contact and a myriad of other factors not present in baseball make each metric less definitive, and much harder to isolate.
Perhaps, but I would argue that maybe they aren't piggy backing off the right stats. To dismiss the notion that advanced statistics wouldn't help evaluate players better than certain archaic hockey values seems almost naive. After all, many hockey fans and probably GMs and coaches place a ridiculously high value on two way play, but how much more value really does someone like Manny Malhotra have over someone like Michael Ryder? What statistical evidence proves that this player is better than that player?

Basketball employs the same tactics, and I would argue that basketball is also a fluid game.

Missionhockey is offline   Reply With Quote