Thread: Proposal: Washington-Boston
View Single Post
Old
11-29-2012, 12:18 PM
Oates2Neely

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPV View Post
I've seen the Backstrom vs Krejci debate properly addressed here; but I haven't seen anybody properly explain how Marchand isn't nearly that much better than Chimera.

I'll say again, I can see that this would improve the Bruins first line; but it would definitely weaken their second line, and their depth (which besides goaltending was the main reason for their Cup victory), and cost them a 1st rounder as well.

I don't think the upgrade on the first line is worth the added cost. No matter how much better Backstrom is than Krejci; and with both being at a .8 PPG average in the playoffs, I'm not sure how significant that upgrade would be.
Regular Season:

Backstrom 1.00 PPG
Krejci 0.73 PPG

Playoffs:

Backstrom 0.80 PPG
Krejci 0.80 PPG

- - - - -

Backstrom is clearly the better regular season player. However in the Playoffs they are equal, both averaging same PPG (.80) average (Krejci in 59 games, Backstrom in 50).

Now once we add into this deal the 24yr old Marchand who just posted 28g, 27a, 55pts in 76 games, IMO the proposal starts to lean in Washingtons direction. Marchand during the Bruins Cup run 11g, 8a, 19pts in 25 games played. He is far from a "throw in" in a trade proposal.

*Also keep in mind, Backstrom makes $6.7m, Krejci JUST signed for $5.2m. A raise from the $3.75 he was making up until the start of this season (IF it starts)

Oates2Neely is offline   Reply With Quote