View Single Post
Old
11-29-2012, 02:04 PM
Yakushev72

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman View Post
I don't believe for a second that you actually believe the WCs have a level playing field. How could it when it's played at a time when every European league is done and the NHL isn't? Also, if you're going to argue out of one side of your mouth that the '76 Canada Cup didn't count because Russia didn't bring its best, you can't argue out of the other side that the worlds are valid even though some teams bring a higher percentage of their best than others.
I am only arguing that it is a valid and fair tournament for the teams that are assembled. Of the 30 NHL teams, 22 have been eliminated from the playoffs in time for the WC, so it is theoretically possible that Canada's best players could actually be available to play in the WC. If they choose not to play, that's their business. Also, other nations such as Russia are affected by those 8 NHL teams still playing. Last year, guys like Kovalchuk and Anisimov and Voynov would have been contenders to make the Russian team.

In regard to the '76 Canada Cup, I was only giving an example of when the tournament was not best on best. The Soviets chose to leave those players at home, probably to get a look at younger players in that competitive setting, but their best were not there.