View Single Post
Old
11-29-2012, 02:54 PM
Master Lok

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by worraps View Post
It would only be a charity if the benevolent billionaire decided to eat the losses (long-term) for you.

At a cost of $5-$15 a year in additional property taxes less the external benefit of injecting some life into the downtown? I doubt most Edmontonians share your view or at least they wouldn't share your view after living without an NHL team for a few years.
You have no idea what you're talking about. Do you honestly claim to know what most Edmontonians think about raising their property taxes so that the Oilers owner can turn a profit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by worraps View Post
If I am wrong about that and people aren't willing to pay any additional taxes to keep the Oilers in Edmonton, we shouldn't have an NHL team.
a) you're wrong about that.
b) you're wrong about who should and shouldn't have an NHL team.

The model is broken, not the fans willingness to pay. Already Oiler fans are paying for high priced tickets AND you think its right to demand that all Edmontonians, non Oiler fans as well to pay a tax to them?

The problem is that the NHL team financial model is broken - if a team needs the local citizenry to donate monies for the team to be financially solvent - then I suggest the problem isn't the citizenry. It's the team and the model.

Which is the crux of why there is a lockout. Can NHL owners be financially profitable longterm under the current CBA? Nope. And its not up to us (local city) to bail them out. I don't understand why that's so difficult to understand.