View Single Post
Old
11-29-2012, 03:03 PM
molsonmuscle360

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Lok View Post
You have no idea what you're talking about. Do you honestly claim to know what most Edmontonians think about raising their property taxes so that the Oilers owner can turn a profit?

a) you're wrong about that.
b) you're wrong about who should and shouldn't have an NHL team.

The model is broken, not the fans willingness to pay. Already Oiler fans are paying for high priced tickets AND you think its right to demand that all Edmontonians, non Oiler fans as well to pay a tax to them?

The problem is that the NHL team financial model is broken - if a team needs the local citizenry to donate monies for the team to be financially solvent - then I suggest the problem isn't the citizenry. It's the team and the model.

Which is the crux of why there is a lockout. Can NHL owners be financially profitable longterm under the current CBA? Nope. And its not up to us (local city) to bail them out. I don't understand why that's so difficult to understand.
On the other hand though, shouldn't the city hold some financial responsibility to help out when a business owner decides to help reinvent the downtown core? Now I don't think he should get it just bought and paid for, but I think the city should get involved quite heavily in it.