Thread: Prospect Info: Prospect Index 2012-2013
View Single Post
Old
11-29-2012, 05:35 PM
sabresfan129103

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
I guess so, but not to the same extent and they have options with Girgensons.

Foligno was a 20 year old and his contract had kicked in, meaning if they sent him down they'd lose a year.
I never really had any problems with his play and he was just about meeting my expectations for him.
He definitely notched it up in the second half and has continued since then, but he didn't look out of place.

Girgensons on the other hand is 18 and his contract hasn't kicked in yet, as he hasn't met the required NHL game stipulation, so they have options with him.
He's also a first round pick, so they can't just continue to hope with his development.
He hasn't adjusted to the speed of the game and isn't even physically ready, which was the reasoning most went with when trying to justify this move.
His jaw injury at the end of last season probably had a bit to do with it (since he couldn't eat real food) but he also just hasn't matured yet and looks incredibly skinny out there.
He's lost offensively and defensively too, forcing plays and constantly chasing.
When they get some bodies back soon like Adam and Hodgson, he'll once again lose his top six spot and PP time, something that still resulted in no production or improvement in his game.

The trade is now official and Kelowna got a conditional sixth for Vasko.
Nothing has really been said yet with regards to this move being made to clear a spot for him, but it certainly opens the door and it makes sense now.
They've had time to try their experiment with Zemgus and it's gone exactly as most with no horse in the race likely expected it would, so it's time to do the right thing.
It's funny because you called this months ago. You would think people who are paid to do this at the NHL level would have recognized it too.