11-29-2012, 08:37 PM
Lars The GOAT Eller
PSN: WildGranlund

vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Lars The GOAT Eller
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
I need to apologize to the forums.

I've been reading some information, and it turns out that some claims I've made several times are false. I correct them here.

1) I have stated many times that the players got 72% in the free market system before the 2005 lockout. It turns out that this is not true. According to this wikipedia article, the true free market value was 76%, not 72%.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004%E2...05_NHL_lockout

The reason I got the wrong answer was that I used the 24% rollback. I think I know what I did wrong. I didn't account for the fact that new players, or players on new contracts, got salaries cut by more than 24% relative to those who retired.

2) I have argued that the owners got everything they wanted the last lockout, it turns out this is not true.

When contract negotiations broke down, the league's offer was for a hard cap of 42 million dollars, independent of league revenues. In the following summer, the league and the players agreed to a 54% cap, equivalent to 39 million in the first year. Thus, the owners didn't get everything they want. The players got something from throwing the season away: they were allowed a share in the growth of the league.

Interestingly, this means that the players can in fact get further concessions by holding their ground.
thanks for being honest, mate.