View Single Post
Old
11-29-2012, 08:14 PM
Soundwave

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Why not? The reason a number of teams are losing money is due to poor fan support. Why should a team who's fans wholeheartedly support it suffer, just so teams with poor fan support can get a few extra dollars out of the players?
Winnipeg's priorities are obviously a little skewed here because of course they want to get back to it straight away given that they've only had one season back.

But a strong deal for the owners will benefit them as well in the long run, unless they want to also keep subsidizing a broken system where 1/3-1/2 of the league is filled with teams constantly struggling to make money. They don't have perspective on the situation because they've only been back operating as a business for one year (and had a good year).

Of course the players love this system, they want all the franchises to stay put because it gives them a wider pool of teams to compete for their services come UFA day, more jobs all around for their membership, etc. etc.

They just don't want to pay "in" to that system though. They want the owners of the Toronto Maple Leafs and Boston Bruins and (yes) Winnipeg Jets to take their profits and give a big chunk of that away so that player X can go sign a big fat contract in Phoenix or where ever.

If I'm the owner of the Bruins, sure, I can see the guys point. If I'm giving away a good chunk of my profit to subsidize these other teams via revenue sharing, then the players need to pay in too.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote