View Single Post
11-29-2012, 10:10 PM
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
I've seen him look vulnerable a few times in tough spots. Against Shields he was going on and on about his eye and seemed to panic a bit. Against condit you can hear him talking to his corner concerned after the 3rd round. He hasn't been really tested, but that's a testament to his skill level.
As you said, that's a testament to his skill. He's rarely in a vulnerable position, so I think his concerns were legitimate. The fact that he went back there during those fights and finished them well shows that he's mentally tough. He's managed to bounce back after his losses. If he wasn't strong mentally, he wouldn't have been able to do that. His ability to overcome adversity and constantly improve is what makes him strong in opinion. If he does a mistake, he's not afraid to point it out and he'll do what he can to improve. He doesn't put the blame on others.

Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
How is GSP stronger mentally? It was the first time he got knocked down and recuperated when fighting Condit. The only other time was versus Serra and he lost, an embarrassing loss.
Silva has lost 4rounds to Sonnen but won in the 5th.
Both have proven to be very strong mentally, but I think Silva is the one that looks more invincible. It's not that he hasn't lost yet in the UFC, it's that his opponents never even hurt him. He also destroyed his opponents. You can also see that his opponents respect him a lot by the way they move in the octagon.
GSP, while dominating his opponents, never destroyed them, and it was also shown that he can get hurt.
The fact that he was able to recuperate after getting knocked down against Condit shows that he's strong and that he has improved since Serra. He also came back and EASILY disposed of Serra after his loss.

I'm not saying that GSP is stronger than Silva so you pointing out that GSP has never destroyed his opponents while Silva has, has nothing to do with it. I'm just pointing out that I believe that mentally, GSP is the toughest. Personal opinion. I don't favor GSP in this matchup, but I think he has what it takes to beat Silva, if not to deliver a great fight at the very least.