View Single Post
Old
11-30-2012, 12:03 AM
_Del_

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RR View Post
Wouldn't that also mean Scott Gomez and others like him on bad contracts would have to give up a year of bloated salary? I don't know. If it does I can't see the players assoc agreeing to anything that would be grossly unfair to guys, primarily with diminishing skills, who are still on big pay-day contracts.
No, because in the scenario they would be gaining an additional year under the current contract. The lost league year would not count toward existing contracts. They'd have to explicitly write it into the CBA like they did the 25% rollback of existing contracts under the last CBA.
Essentially, as of this moment all contracts are legally meaningless. It'll be up to the new CBA to recognize current contract validness (which I completely expect to happen. It always does).
Team's with albatross contracts would be stuck paying them the full contract term (which the overpaid players would probably be all for), but they'd recoup contract years on young players and the potential UFA's. Middling players with one year left on their deals might prefer to be paid out their contract next year instead of losing their contract/job next year. Overpaid guys, I'm sure will be all for it. Younger guys with one year left and due a raise might chafe a bit.
I'd expect each team would have it's own reasons for and against such a move. It'd depend on how many teams/players thought it was worth it.

Pretty confident Smith stays. He's in the perfect situation here. And with only last season under his belt, GMDM still holds some cards. Might be more favourable to get a longer/cheaper deal than if he had lit it up again this year and then went into UFA with more suitors. I expect other teams will be wary right now of throwing big money at him after the Bryzgalov experiment.

_Del_ is offline   Reply With Quote