View Single Post
Old
11-30-2012, 02:17 AM
Xokkeu

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Kanadensisk View Post
I think it is very hard to quantify, some it may help, some it may hurt, hard to say what the average impact is.

Socially speaking I would say that language is the biggest hurdle, followed by culture, with things like climate (at least for hockey players) and food being much less significant. The difference in language and culture between french Quebec and english North America is similar to that between Europe and North America and I don't ever recall this being an issue in terms of player performance for French Canadians. Likewise a lot of anglophones from Atlantic Canada, such as Crosby, have to play junior hockey in Quebec and again I'm not aware of this being a major (or even minor) issue.
First of all there is a difference between different European countries. It's much easier for Swedes on average than Russians. Russian culture is much different from North America. French Canadiens generally have a lot more exposure to English Canada and American culture and are much more familiar with it.