Thread: Blue Jays Discussion: Offseason Madness the 8th: Josh Johnson Edition.
View Single Post
Old
11-30-2012, 11:06 AM
Man Bear Pig

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Jones View Post
He's struggled for the better part of three seasons, no denying it. But Gibbons has a history of playing guys to their strengths. Lind did very well against righties, especially after Mottola - now with the big club full-time - re-jigged his plate approach in Vegas. If he DH's the 70% of games we play vs RHP, he'll do just fine, and could hit capably out of the 5-hole.
Oh no, I understand. I've been suggesting a platoon for him for a while now. The guy shouldn't get one AB vs LHP at all next season. Anything but a platoon with Lind would be giving outs away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapes View Post
26 home runs, 87 ribs, 251 AVG in. 125 games. Those numbers aren't THAT bad. People make it sound like he hit 210 with 10 home runs. It isn't great production from your 1b/DH but we have better power numbers than most with our RF, catcher and our other 1b/DH. Just saying 25+ home runs batting 250 is solid for 5 mill. I'd much rather have that production and sign a starter than dump him, sign Laroche to 15 mill and keep our pitching the same
The issue is that Linds been ranked near or dead last in every category for his positions for years now. That 2011 season you're referring to? he was awful. A .734 OPS is atrocious for a 1B/DH. A .295 OBP? yuck. He was also a negative WAR player. We gotta face the facts here, he's been downright awful. A negative WAR player in this league is beyond brutal. That's just a waste of five million, if anything.