View Single Post
Old
11-30-2012, 11:13 AM
Cin
Eurosnob.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
I really got into hockey during the dead puck era. That's the version of hockey I fell in love with. Call me an idiot but I just don't see it as a lesser version of the sport. I'm typically drawn to the tactical aspect of sports quite a bit and that aspect of the late 90's - early 2000's game was significantly higher than it currently is. Yeah, maybe Richard Matvichuk being allowed to ride Forsberg into the ice isn't beautiful but what was (objectively speaking) was the way that Forsberg fought through that to still be a dominant player capable of routinely pulling off beautiful hockey plays. The cream always rises to the top and the players capable of really getting the job done now would also be able to get it done then. I don't like how you don't have to fight for your space as much now as you did then.

Call it boring slow hockey if you want, but the head trauma we see now is directly linked to the increased speed of the game. Space is given where it used to be earned. The difference between the game then and now is the difference between rugby and American football.
Bingo.