View Single Post
Old
11-30-2012, 10:56 AM
hb11xchamps

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
This has turned into an Ovechkin bashfest. I think Ovechkin needs to get back to the player he was, but like I said, he isn't the only thing I'm concerned about for the Caps right now.

We had him for 2 years, and yes we did get to the SCF with him on our bench, and yes he was a legendary player, and the players had good things to say about him, but I don't know what to make of Adam Oates as head coach. Our PP was very bad under him for long stretches. There was a point mid season where we lost 4 games by only a goal not including empty netters, where we gave up a shorthanded goal. At a few points during the season we had scored more shorthanded goals than PP goals, and gave up more goals while we were on the PP, than goals while we were on the PK. This was happening almost every other game for a month/month and a half maybe.

After all of our losses this Summer(Parise, Ponikarovsky, Sykora, Larry Robinson on the bench) he's definitely the one I'll miss the least. I do wish you Caps fans luck with him though, and I'm not saying he'll definitely or even most likely fail. Just a little concerned that's all.
This makes a lot of sense. I got to watch the Trainwreck of multiple coaches in Hershey at the beginning of the year and Oates does not seem like he will be a good head coach. Hershey's powerplay was horrendous and they did give up a few shorthanded goals to echo what you said. His systems didn't fit well with the Bears personnel so hopefully it translates better with the Caps. Hershey fans were at one point screaming at Oates saying things such as, "Your going to get fired before you even coach an NHL game", "Oates your systems suck", etc. I thought that skipping over John Cooper who has success at every level (Led Norfolk to a 25? game winning streak last year and won the Calder Cup) was a mistake and that Oates was brought in because he is an ex Cap

hb11xchamps is offline   Reply With Quote