View Single Post
Old
11-30-2012, 11:04 AM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Bryanbryoil:

You asked about Jujhar Khaira on the NCAA prospects stats thread, so I'll answer it here since he's obviously an Oilers prospect.

Yes, I have seen him play already. The thing that has most impressed me about Khaira (BTW, his name is pronounced "Care- uh") is the fact that he plays with a great deal of calmness (for a lack of a better term). He doesn't seem to get too high or too low. Another thing that's impressed me about Khaira thus far is how well he forechecks. Even with his lack of strength, he's able to use his size quite effectively in that regard. For you and anyone else here who may not know, Michigan Tech is a tight-checking, puck-pressuring team. They have been for quite sometime and it's something that head coach Mel Pearson really stresses to his players. Khaira has obviously gotten the memo on that one.

Khaira is a big kid at about 6'3", but it's really obvious that he still needs to add size and strength. He's a very good skater with long, smooth strides. He's shown great poise and patience with the puck and usually makes the right decisions with the puck. He keeps his game relatively simple (very common for freshmen) and I haven't really seen an glaring mistakes that he's made. Khaira has shown that he can make good passes. He's good along the boards and in the corners, but his lack of strength allows him to be moved off the puck rather easily. He's not a physical player (read that tough guy-type), but he will deliver hits when necessary, but again, his lack of strength doesn't make him very effective in that area yet.

Khaira is still adjusting to the speed and skill of the college game, but he's looked good in the early going. That said, he is still a bit of a project, but with continued development and physical maturity, Khaira could potentially have a legit shot with the Oilers down the road.

I hope this helps and answers your question.