View Single Post
Old
11-30-2012, 11:25 AM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTN View Post
I don't think NCAA will ever let them/us go to Div I. Imagine if SFU draws that top basketball talent in Canada. It might be enough to go on a decent run in March Madness in a good year. There's just too much money involved for the NCAA. They don't want to lose any revenue. I think it's the same reason UBC didn't join, they were eyeing Div I and they knew NCAA wouldn't give it to them.

The hockey team is just club level. SFU doesn't have any rinks on campus, though I'm not sure if that's needed for Div I.
Most do and it certainly helps from a recruiting standpoint. FYI, there are a few D-I teams, mainly in Atlantic Hockey, that do not have on-campus rinks. Two that come to mind are AIC, who play at the Olympia Ice Center, and Sacred Heart, who play at the Milford Ice Pavillion and occasionally at the Webster Bank Arena.

In order for any team to go D-I, there are several hurdles that they'll need to clear first. Most notable is Title IX, which requires most NCAA sports (with the exception of sports like football) to have both a men's and women's team. Even if a team clears all the hurdles to get to the D-I level, there is still the hurdle of gaining membership in a conference. It's not exactly a slam-dunk, just ask Alabama-Huntsville. Now one thing that SFU has going for it as far as gaining conference membership is geography. There are a number of western teams in the NCAA, including two in Alaska. At some point, should either the WCHA or soon-to-be NCHC decide to expand in the coming years and SFU does make it to the D-I Level, that could potentially open the door for them to step into one of those conferences. But that's still a long way, if it ever happens at all.

Oilers Chick is offline   Reply With Quote