Thread: Prospect Info: Official Penguins Prospects Thread
View Single Post
Old
11-30-2012, 03:09 PM
wgknestrick

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
You can't look at one guy (who played in a system that was a complete 180) and judge the entire crop.

That doesn't make any sense to me.

I know all of the Pens top D prospects quite well, except Dumoulin and I can see Morrow, Despres, Harrington, Strait and Bortuzzo all becoming valuable contributors to the Pens or whatever team they wind up with.

Others seem to be really high on Dumoulin as well. DP and Maatta are looking good so far, but it's too early to know for sure if they can be NHL regulars.

It is kind of silly to throw out made up numbers and not look at each player individually.
General success rate of any draft pick is around 30-40%. 6 D prospects x .35 = 2.1 NHL defenders. It's not pulling numbers out of a dark place. I get your point though, but I was just being realistic. I would put the expected # between 1 and 3 D-men out of that group. You have to agree that it is going to be less than 6.

Every prospect looks good until they get into the NHL.

Bortz is unable to stay healthy and a fringe talent when that happens
Strait is probably a 6th/7th NHL D man. Zero offense, good defense
DP and Maatta are very far away
Morrow hasn't looked that great in the AHL (prob has most potential of all prospects).
Dumoulin has looked pretty solid in the AHL
Depres has had an underwhelming AHL season so far (poor defensively-so was Letang early on). He has all the tools, but struggles to use them at times.
I haven't seen Harrington play, but hear good things.

As of now, I would put money on Dumoulin and probably Morrow after another year in the AHL as poised to be NHL defenders we "want" on the Pens team. We are wanting to see "dominating" AHL performances to indicate these guys will be decent NHLers.