Thread: Olympics: 2014 - U.S. Roster Discussion
View Single Post
Old
11-30-2012, 05:36 PM
PaulieVegas

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
Erik Johnson is just the partner Jack needs in order to make his offensive game explode on the international level. With his skating ability and strong defensive game he can easily lead the breakout with a rush up the ice or a solid first pass while handling the defensive load as JJ pinches up to be a 4th forward occasionally.
I don't like EJ's chances of making the 2014 team. I think he's iffy at best and a longshot at worst.

Suter, Yandle, and JJ are shoo-ins to make the Sochi roster, which leaves only 4 remaining defensman spots. EJ will have to compete for those spots against veterans who are as good or better than he is (Orpik, Byfuglien, Goligoski, Martin) and upcoming kids who are developing fast and have a chance to eclipse him by 2014 (Carlson, Fowler, Faulk, Shattenkirk, McDonaugh, Gardiner, McBain, Leddy).

EJ played 73 games last year and, while I understand he was dealing with back issues, he finished an underwhelming 17th in scoring by American defensemen. That's not good. Plus, he's turned down playing for Team USA in the Worlds two years running. We saw in 2010 with a few "tweeners" (like Pomminville and Connelly, who turned down the 2009 Worlds and were subsequently left off the preliminary 37-man roster) that Brian Burke isn't afraid to say no to bubble guys who don't play in the Worlds.

Absent a strong uptick in his play when NHL play resumes---if it ever resumes---I don't think EJ makes the Sochi roster.

Last edited by PaulieVegas: 11-30-2012 at 05:37 PM. Reason: Grammar correction