View Single Post
Old
11-30-2012, 06:19 PM
Multimoodia
Sicker Than Usual

vCash: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by TieClark View Post
If contraction ever did happen it would only be 2 teams tops. Phoenix is a guarantee and then you look at the dynamics... I would say Florida/Tampa is a good option. 2 teams in a market that struggles for all sports other than basketball (for obvious reasons) and in a very non-traditional hockey market. Even with teams like Columbus, St. Louis etc. struggling money wise, you know they can turn a profit given the right circumstances. I don't think the same can be said for Phoenix or for Florida/Tampa with any consistency.
Which I do believe is a fair statement as both of the places seem to have a very large percentage of transplants anyway. They would likely need two full generations instead of one and one wonders if waiting 50 years to create fans is too long (probably is) for the NHL model.

My point is I have read several opinions noting the NHL should contract more than simply two as removing only two will not ensure health for the league. I think such opinions are rather short-sighted as is the term "non traditional" as there are franchises in such locations which are or should be turning profit.

Multimoodia is online now   Reply With Quote