View Single Post
Old
11-30-2012, 06:21 PM
KaylaJ
Tungsten!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Wu View Post
There may be exceptions, but in general, these teams will not be able to afford the Parise/Suter type deals that younger free agents are getting. If they do, they are spending outside of their means (ala Nashville/Weber). I wouldn't have a problem with that, if not for the lockouts. You want to bankrupt yourself? Fine, but don't expect the players to cover your losses.

Paying a few over the hill players 4.5 million each in a psuedo spending spree isn't convincing me of anything.

Dallas Economist on lockout

Enlighten me, exactly who can afford those Parise/Suter deals in the long run? Besides Toronto, NYR, and Montreal that is. I'm sure many Penguin fans who were clamoring for Parise this summer will be A-OK that we never sign another big name FA because the contract could mean bad news for the team in the future. You blame the Southern teams for these "lockouts", but it wasn't just them who have had troubles & problems.

Also, I'm not exactly sure what I'm supposed to be convincing you of in the Dallas situation. They had ownership issues which are now being patched up (sound familiar?). They had to rebuild and go from the known Modano, Turco, and Richards (you know, the guy they could've spent a lot of money to keep, but let him go?) to guys like Benn & Ericksson who don't even get talked about much in the NHL markets (unfortunately for them they didn't win a draft lottery). And no joke people aren't talking about the lockout in Dallas, they're not talking about it in a lot of cities (most of my Penguin fan friends aren't either). In fact last year during the NBA lockout guess what they weren't talking about as much? And as a side note the biggest concern in Dallas is ALWAYS the Cowboys.

You don't think the players should get blamed for ownership issues teams are having, that's fine, but then explain to me why exactly they should be getting a bigger piece of the pie.