View Single Post
Old
11-30-2012, 06:38 PM
Fishhead

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkhamNHL View Post
yeah years ago... winnipeg was sitting and waiting for several years...
if a second team was known to come to Toronto, the arena in Markham would clear council in a heartbeat. same for Quebec... they are going ahead anyways, but a team can still play in the collisee until then...

but yes years ago it could have been done... hell 3 years of bankruptcy trying to get the team to Hamilton.....
Years ago, both Winnipeg and Quebec lost their teams because they weren't financially viable.... They were exactly the same as the lame duck teams now in the not so distant past. The main reason they are viable now is because of the power of the Loonie. The fans in both of those places are fantastic, and are undoubtedly deserving of a team, but the real test is going to be when the dollar drops again. They were very smart in securing multi-year commitments from their season ticket holders, and things are going great now, but what happens when payroll costs rise substantially when the dollar inevitably goes down? That's the big question.

Hamilton, sure, I think they could easily support a team. But, that's just one team. The facts are, you can't just move teams all willy-nilly. Fees have to be paid, and so on. Relocation is a very expensive process, not something that smart people do unless it's a last resort.

A preferable option is to create a league where teams can be stable and be somewhat successful financially even when times get tough. I'd hate to see one of the Alberta teams or Winnipeg struggling because of outside forces like the CAD, just like I hate to see the US teams struggle because the USD sucks right now.