View Single Post
Old
11-30-2012, 07:13 PM
Jack de la Hoya

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by slightlystewpid420 View Post
Franchise players are pretty easy to spot in my eyes. Really anybody you say a team the first person that really comes to mind. TB would be stamkos st louis and lecavier. CHI would be Kane and Toews Pitt would be malkin, crosby, fleury. But not every team has a franchise player. If you have any questions while trying to work a trade just message me and ill get back to you.
Some of those guys have been subject to trade rumors for years (Vinny, Kane) or are old enough where they can't really be considered franchise cornerstones anymore, no?

Age, contract status, positional depth all have to be factors, honestly.

To me, the list is much shorter than you're implying.

Anaheim: None. (Getzlaf and Perry are UFA)
Boston: Chara (and only for this year, maybe 2, because of age).
Buffalo: Miller
Calgary: None
Carolina: E. Staal I guess?
Chicago: Toews, Keith (Kane has been subject to rumors, true or not, and is stuck behind Toews).
Colorado: None.
Columbus: None
Dallas: Benn.
Detroit: Datsyuk / Zetterberg (I'm not even sure which?)
Edmonton: You tell me.
Florida: None
LA: Doughty, Quick I guess. The three Cs sort of cancel each other out.
Minnesota: Parise and / or Suter (but they just signed?)
Montreal: Price
Nashville: Weber
New Jersey: Kovalchuk
Islanders: Tavares
Rangers: Lundqvist (maybe Gaborik?)
Ottawa: Karlsson
Phladelphia: Giroux
Phoenix: None.
Pittsburgh: Crosby, Malkin
San Jose: ?
St. Louis: Pietrangelo
Tampa: Stamkos
Toronto: Kessel?
Vancouver: Sedins?
Washington: Ovechkin, maybe Backstrom

There's a whole generation of "budding" superstars--e.g., Hall, Eberle, and RNH, just on Edmonton alone, but because of the nature of online progression, I'm not sure you can call them "franchise" players right now. There's also guys like Seguin, E. Kane, T. Myers, P. K. Subban, and many others who are just a notch below because of OV and age.

With a few exceptions, you're talking about young or prime-aged 87+ talent (with a few older guys in the 90s). That's really a "franchise" asset, isn't it. It isn't a question of who has been the best / most identifiable player in the past 10 years; its which player, if you were forced to choose just one off that team, would you want going forward?

GMs should be able to move aging stars (Thornton, Iginla) if they are interested in rebuilding. Unlike real life, we don't have to sell tickets.

EDIT: Apparently I had more to say on the matter than I thought.

Don't take this the wrong way. I love how you are running the league. It just seems to me that this is the last loose thread that needs to be tied up.

Last edited by Jack de la Hoya: 11-30-2012 at 07:47 PM.
Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote