View Single Post
Old
11-30-2012, 07:37 PM
Kingstonian84*

vCash: 500
In a sense he was, they traded 2 1st rounds picks and a 2nd in the upcoming drafts. Burke had a good idea of who he was getting and mortgaged the future on him. He wanted to get a sniper to propel his team into the playoff, watch any video from his tenure around that time and its clear

I'll be the first to admit Burkes entire time as GM has been very questionable, however I really think the Kessel trade was one of the few times he has gotten it right, let me explain.

The leafs were presented with an oppurtunity to land a 21 year old top 5 draft pick and one who had just come up a near 40 goal season, Burke would have been a fool to turn his nose down at it. Kessel even at 21 had immense value, keep in mind to get something you must give up something, 2 1sts/2nd rounder was a fair tradeoff. At the time nobody knew that the leafs would sink for two years resulting in lottery picks going to the Bruins, Burke nor Bostons' GM can be faulted. Kessel is only 4 years older then Seguin, it isn't that big of a gap and besides Kessel since being a leaf has shown steady improvements in all offensive areas, he's gone from a 50-60 pt guy to an elite ppg 1st liner.