View Single Post
Old
11-30-2012, 08:51 PM
That

vCash: 500
7-4 win for the Sarnia Sting over Saginaw. Galchenyuk picked up 3 points, while combining with his linemates for 13 points tonight .

Galchenyuk start off the game with an assist just a minute in. He made a nice pass from the circle to Boucher who sniped it, but after that it all went down hill. He did a nice job along the boards, but got caught napping as the puck came out and Saginaw scored from a point shot that got tipped in. Galchenyuk had a few defensive miscues as well. He had a multiple "just-missed" passes. Either too far back or too far ahead. One of them was particularly bad, it was on a scoring chance and he lightly passed it to the defender. That was about the end of his struggles for the night as he picked up his play immediately after. His line had a great passing play, including a quick one-touch pass from Galchenyuk, and then he drove the net and almost put it in. He also came flying down the ice to jump on the loose puck and make a nice pass. In the second Galchenyuk carried his momentum from the last 5 minutes of the first or so. He had a few nice chances in close but couldn't bury them. He back checked hard all period and did good work along the boards. He had one particularly great shift. He intercepted a pass and then tried this crazy, awkward looking pass that no one was able to pick up, and then he came flying down the wing and got a nice chance. A few seconds later he set up Sarault, but he rang it off the post. The next shift he picked up his second assist. He used his great hands and strength in unison to gain control of the puck multiple times in succession before the puck came to Boucher who completed the trick. He had a filthy move (I'm becoming desensitized to these because he does them like 4 to 5 times a game) where he went around the defender and got a great chance. In the third, Galchenyuk was a bit quieter. He lost of the puck in the offensive zone and it lead to a goal, not entirely his fault though, he was for the most part a harmless looking play. He had a great scoring chance at one point in the second. He was floating in the neutral zone and his team was pinned in there zone, and he decided to come back and help out. He got the puck out immediately and got a great scoring came from it. Galchenyuk picked up a goal tonight from in tight from the side of the net. A goal that he's been robbed on a large amount of times this season.

Overall, I thought he played a solid game. He was a consistent offensive threat all night, defensively he was not. He had a great second period in which his back checking reminded me of Marian Hossa, but other than that he was pretty lazy. I'm starting to notice a trend. The games where he creates the most chances, are all him. He has a great game in his own zone and most his chances come from the counter attack. Point is he has to be more consistent in his own zone, he looks better offensively when he's great in his own end. Tonight he was solid, he could have been better though, but you can't complain with a 7-4 whipping and 3 points.

-Reid Boucher was the best player on the ice tonight. 3 goals and 2 assists. He was dangerous all night and could have had 6 goals. He was fantastic.
-Charlie Sarault is starting to climb the scoring latter. Which is good, this production in long overdue. That's his second 5th point night in a row, and has four, 4+ point nights this month.
-Davis Brown played in about 20 days. He picked up his first and second career OHL points and was all over the ice. He created a ton of chances and used his incredible wrist shot a couple times. Best game I've seen him play in the O, I have a feeling I'm going to be doing more of this on him.
-Alex Basso and Connor Murphy were once again awesome tonight. They make a great pairing.
-Anthony DeAngelo was solid tonight, apart from possibly the worst drop pass I've seen since the last time he tried to do it. He's one of the most skilled defenceman I've ever seen in the OHL, he just has to stop playing hero and simplify things.
-I've mentioned him in the past and yet again I was impressed with Moutrey. He brought his full bag of tricks tonight. He finished his checks, he was agitating all night, he scored a nice goal, and had a nice behind the back pass. He cooled off as the night went on though, but for the most part he was great.
-Vincent Trocheck is a player who I've always thought was overrated, but he's having great year. He scored two goals and really showed why he's one of the best players in the OHL.
-Dalton Young had a fantastic game. He picked up 2 assists and almost scored an incredible end to end rush.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasybaseballchamp View Post
Sarault closing in on Galchenyuk for team lead in scoring
About time. He's one of the best players in the OHL, but his production was disappointing at the beginning of the season. It really wouldn't surprise me if Sarault actually lead Sarnia in scoring at the end of the year, actually I'd say at the beginning of the season I expected it. When you take into account that Galchenyuk will miss games from the WJC and that Sarault is an OA it doesn't seem too crazy.

Last edited by That: 11-30-2012 at 08:59 PM.