View Single Post
11-30-2012, 09:45 PM
Clown Baby*
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
I'd agree if depth were even a problem. it isn't. Not even close. Players good enough to get by on a third line are festering in AHL affiliates around the league as it stands right now. I can think of about 3 guys who are scheduled to break camp in Providence if the season ever started, that someone should be giving a chance to.

If your team is so incompetent or so miserly it can't assemble a high level of both talent and depth, then the problem isn't a diluted league. The problem is it's a poorly run team.
Tell me who leads centers in ice-time for the Nashville Predators, Toronto Maple Leafs, Winnipeg Jets, and Calgary Flames, because if the league doesn't have a problem with depth, surely at least one of these teams has a legitimate no.1 center (one of if not the deepest position in the league today.)
A diluted league would look like the opposite of the current NHL situation. If there wasn't a lot of talent to go around most of it would be on the big money franchises for obvious reasons. You would see the richest teams loaded with talent and dynasties galore, and about 25 noncontenders. Kind of like the NBA these days.
Of course, there's the salary cap which one could argue enforces disparity amongst the league.
What we see instead is about 24 teams in any given year, going into January with a shot to fight their way into the playoffs and many lower seeded teams advancing a round or two. That means that 24 teams in any given year can assemble enough talent to go to war with the best other teams in the league with a puncher's chance of winning. That kind of talent being available even to the mediocre market is a pretty good sign that the last thing our talent level is, is diluted.
The Loser Point helps. It doesn't change the order of seeding, necessarily, but those late season, down to the wire, runs might not be a thing without it (or with the 3 point system.)

All in all, awful.

Clown Baby* is offline   Reply With Quote