View Single Post
Old
12-01-2012, 04:36 AM
Harry Waters

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAnnala View Post
For me Ovechkin is a no brainer. He has been considered the best LW in the game since he entered the league. He was also considered the best player (somewhat arguable) in the world for 2/3 years. I would say he is easily in the Hall.

Thomas is a hard choice, he has issues off ice and short career. But the story of his career is great. He won the best-player award in Finland and came to the Show as a veteran and pulled few Super-Elite seasons. Talking about fairytale.
Thing is tough, did Thomas have his great seasons in wrong time. It was basically the start of this weird goalie era, where stats are highly inflated. Like offense in the 80's. Will the voters have hard time believing that Thomas was one of the most skilled goalies ever, or was he a product of the era.

Be it anyway, Thomas will be an interesting case and winning Vezina and Smythe in the same year is basically as good as it gets.
I see it the same way. The thing is that Thomas' dominance is even shorter than OVs, but he has a Smythe going for him, which should help.
And while OVs career is already good enough for the HHOF, you have to keep in mind that he isn't done yet. Even if he is just a 35-45 goal scorer from now on, that further backs up his case in the long run. People are always pointing out that his play dropped, which is right - but in every other case, Top 10 finishes in goals or points (which he had both in the last two seasons) help the players chances, so why not in OVs? Seems like he can finish Top 10 in goals and scoring even in bad seasons, which tells you something about his ability.

Harry Waters is offline   Reply With Quote