View Single Post
Old
12-01-2012, 09:12 AM
LeafDangler

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shello View Post
I wouldn't call them idiots, no matter how easy it is to call them idiots based on the performances the past while, they're fully aware of what they're doing and they're letting each age group get it's chance, this year will be the 93's-94's, next year 94's and 95's, etc. They'll get their turn eventually, remember they do want to win each year (and they have come close), but they also want to develop their future players and give them the experience. Most countries with options go for the older more experience just as well. It's easy to point and look at Hockey Canada and base off no gold and say they're idiots. Drouin will probably get an invite and only time will tell how he does.
Hockey Canada's #1 priority when selecting the WJC team should be winning. Nothing else.

I think calling them idiots is useless hyperbole. They're obviously experienced, intelligent hockey people. That said I strongly disagree with many of their selections. It's not that they're picking bad hockey players, but that they don't place an emphasis on talent and skill throughout all 4 lines. Furthermore the repeated mantra of "this is a 19/20 yr old tournament" is foolish. Just take the best players.