View Single Post
Old
12-01-2012, 10:43 AM
gretzkyoilers

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
This was Jagr at his peak, unreal. He had just seperated himself from the rest of the pack in a way that we hadn't seen since Mario/Gretzky. This was one of those games that we as Canadians call "gutsy" because Jagr was suffering from a groin problem (or ribs, I can't remember) but either way it was a game he shouldn't have played. He ties the game, wins it in overtime against Brodeur (who has a surprisingly poor playoff overtime record) and then got 3 points for the win in Game 7. He was such a dominating force out there and in all honesty we haven't seen a player do that on the ice like Jagr since..............Jagr. That includes Ovechkin and Crosby. I'm sorry but neither had a year like 1999 Jagr.

I know the Pens had a lot of financial troubles but I really don't remember anything about the team moving to Kansas City if they lost this round. Mario still had to come and save the day in 1999 with part ownership either way so I don't think it would have mattered. The Penguins were broke at that time.
100% agree. This will silence anyone who thinks Jagr never played his heart out. He was the best player on the ice even though he was injured and had not skated in a while.

As a side note, that was tremendous hockey. Straka is totally underrated. Jagr's 1 on 1 play on Stevens was great (~3:40).

gretzkyoilers is offline   Reply With Quote